The main lane of the Chalmette National Cemetery is caped by the Memorial of the Grand Army of the Republic. This is one of a very few memorials of this kind in the south, since it is commemorating the sacrifice of the Union troops during the Civil War.
We want to thank our service man and women active and non-active, past and present. Their sacrifice has been the reason we can live our lives so free.
As the street car zips by a pivotal point connecting residential Uptown New Orleans with the business rich downtown sits Lee Circle. The traffic circle was originally known as Tivoli Circle but in 1884 with the erection of the monument to the Confederate General Robert E. Lee the circle was renamed. Many people do not know that hidden within the giant doric column is a winding staircase that takes you to a lookout point just above the column capital.
Many iron fences and balconies have scroll work inspired by a time in life. So one may guess that this fence was erected in the american sector of the city during the great struggle of the civil war. The Federal inspired eagle looks similar to our modern national symbol, and proclaims the resident’s political stance on the environment of the nation.
Within the wrought iron lace around New Orleans hides stories. At 934 Royal St. above the gated entrance to the courtyard you can find a rust coated work of art. Two iron doves feasting at a fruit basket, beneath them a garden of iron flowers and foliage. This cast iron symbol is known as the “lovebirds” and was a rare design in its time. Almost 150 years ago General P.G.T. Beauregard lived at this address in the years following the Civil War. He passed under this intricate ironwork for eight years. New Orleans is full of hidden historical features.
This second cornstalk fence sits in the historic Garden District of New Orleans. Built just before the Civil War this beautiful home and its unique fence belonged to Colonel Robert Short. Both cornstalk fences were cast by Wood & Perot of Philadelphia. While this fence is not as colorful as its sister on Royal, it certainly adds to the charm of this grand old mansion surrounded by Magnolias on Fourth and Prytania.
Pierre Gustave Toutant Beauregard was a New Orleans native, born 1818 in St. Bernard Parish. With hearing the legacy of Gen. Andrew Jackson as a boy it’s no wonder he grew up to become a general. A true French creole P.G.T. longed for his city to hold onto its French heritage and tried to uphold the culture throughout his life. With his own legend and deep roots in NOLA, a monumental statue dedicated to him was erected in 1915 at the entrance to New Orleans City Park at the head of Esplanade Ave.
On the site of the original Spanish prison and directly behind The Cabildo, stands a formidable structure. Known to NOLA as the Arsenal, this building served as the home of Louisiana’s armory from 1840 thru 1915. During its history the Arsenal has seen occupation by both Union and Confederate forces and was once the home of an aristocratic secret military society. This mighty fortress now houses relics of Louisiana’s history and the part we played during wartime.